Recovered “Human Remains Believed” from Titan Wreckage

The US Coast Guard said it will haul debris from the wreck titanium sent to the US as part of the Marine Board of Investigation of the accident.

The news comes after it was revealed that some of the wreckage had been recovered from the seabed and offloaded from the ship Horizon Maritime in St. John’s, Newfoundland horizon arctic.

The Coast Guard also said they carefully recovered “presumed human remains” from the rubble. The remains are sent for formal analysis.

After consultation with international partner investigative agencies, it was decided to transport the evidence aboard a US Coast Guard cutter to a port in the United States where MBI can conduct further analysis and testing.

As previously reported, the US Coast Guard has appointed a Marine Board of Investigation to investigate the accident, the agency’s highest investigative level. The MBI will work to determine the cause of an accident, whether misconduct or negligence contributed to the cause, whether any laws were broken, and whether new laws or regulations are needed to prevent future victims. The MBI will work with the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), which will be responsible for determining the probable cause.

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada, as the authority of the flag state where the expedition support vessel is registered, has also launched an investigation.

“I am grateful for the coordinated international and multi-agency assistance in recovering and preserving this vital evidence at extreme distances and depths offshore,” said MBI Chairman Captain Jason Neubauer. “The evidence will provide investigators from multiple international jurisdictions with critical insight into the cause of this tragedy. Much work remains to be done to understand the factors that led to the catastrophic loss of TITAN and to ensure a similar tragedy does not repeat itself.”

The crew of the Canadian-flagged vessel polar prince lost contact with the tenant titanium Approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes after his dive on Sunday 18th June. After an extensive multinational search and rescue operation led by the US Coast Guard, the wreck of the titanium was on the seabed about 500 meters forward of the bow of the titanic about 96 hours after the submarine’s first submersion. All five people on board, including the founder and CEO of the OceanGate Expedition, are presumed dead.

Related Articles

Back to top button