Missing yacht found in Djibouti after attack off Yemen Ship’s crew

Reuters

DUBAI, April 27 (Reuters) – A private yacht with three Russians and two Egyptians on board, which had been reported missing in the Red Sea off Yemen, surfaced in Djibouti on Thursday after the owner said it was an attack unknown armed men.

The 30 Minutes sent their final signal Tuesday night off the coast of Jizan, a port in southern Saudi Arabia near the Yemeni border, before appearing to disappear, owner Dmitriy Chuguevskiy had told Reuters.

“According to people on board … they were entering international waters off Yemen. They were attacked by the Yemeni side, fired upon… but they managed to escape, although the yacht was significantly damaged,” Chuguevskiy said on Thursday.

Several ships have been attacked in recent years off Yemen’s coast, which has been torn apart by an eight-year conflict between the Iran-allied Houthi group, which controls northern Yemen and the coast near the ship’s suspected whereabouts by one of Saudi -Arabia-led military coalition supporting Yemen’s internationally recognized government.

The yacht managed to reach Eritrea before finally making its way to Djibouti today, said Chuguevskiy, a Russian-Italian national based in the United Arab Emirates.

The ship was not equipped with the standard AIS ship tracking system that ship data trackers use, and its disappearance had also been reported by the Russian embassy in Saudi Arabia.

(Writing by Lisa Barrington; Editing by Nick Macfie)

(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2023.

Related Articles

Back to top button